Cleaning your favorite gun can be very tricky. They often have grooves that can collect grime and dirt, both of which are extremely difficult to dislodge and clean, even with the smallest of implements.
Luckily, gun manufacturers have caught up with the fact that getting rid of gunk can prove difficult and will often affect the functionality of your piece. This is where ultrasonic gun cleaning technology comes into play.
All you need to clean your gun is an ultrasonic cleaning device and some ultrasonic gun cleaning solution. With these two simple pieces of equipment, you can get that complete and throughout clean in every groove and furrow of your weapon.
Because guns don’t just contain dirt and mud, they can carry lots of carbon residues that can fundamentally alter the constitution of your weapon in a negative way. With an ultrasonic gun cleaner, you can corrode these corrosive elements before they ruin your gun for good!
The ultrasonic qualities of your cleaning device use soundwaves to remove the grease from your gun’s most intimate areas. It lowers the surface tension of the liquid, boosting the cavitation effects that happen naturally when you pass a sound wave through water.
But where can you find a premium ultrasonic gun cleaner? What features and capabilities do an ultrasonic gun cleaning solution need to have to leave your gun in shiny and optimal condition before your next shooting session? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent ultrasonic gun cleaner?
Well, gun nuts need not worry about their weapons, because we’ve compiled a list of some of the best ultrasonic gun cleaning solutions currently available on the market.
We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you sort out the best from the worst when it comes to gun cleaning fluid, before rounding off our article with some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Our first brand of gun cleaning solution is one manufactured by an industry leader, Hornady, assuring a high level of quality and professionalism in terms of performance.
If you are a hunter that often finds their gun caked in mud after a day’s good hunting, then this is the solution for you - introducing the Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Gun Brass Cleaner Solution.
If it’s grease, dirt or even carbon residue, this gun cleaning solution will get your piece looking as good as new in no time at all.
You can dismantle your gun and put it in your Hornady ultrasonic gun cleaner, and the machine will efficiently clean those areas that are inaccessible to other human tools.
There are two versions of this cleaner: one for cleaning brass cartridge cases and one for cleaning gun parts.
We recommend that you know which portion of your gun you’re going to be cleaning before purchasing one or the other.
- This solution is made by a brand leader, the hundreds of positive reviews is a testament to its effectiveness.
- Simply use this solution with your gun cleaning unit and you will remove it of grime, grease and carbon residue in no time at all.
- Efficient - you only need one parts solution to 40 parts water for the best cleaning results on the market.
- This solution is perfect for hunters who shoot in extremely muddy conditions, who often find their guns getting gummed up by all sorts of wild matter.
- By applying sound waves to its unique ingredients, you can be sure that it will be able to quickly and completely clean your gun’s most hard-to-reach areas.
- Using too much of this solution with your gun can result in the metal casing becoming discolored or even corroded. Make sure you apply a light amount of solution for superficially dirty guns.
Our next cleaning solution is one that has been specially adapted for cleaning brass cases and other gun parts, with a small water-to-solution ratio that will save you a lot of money in the long run.
You can remove oxidation, carbon residue and everyday grime from your gun with the Frankford Arsenal Ultrasonic Brass Cleaning Solution.
One of the major advantages of the Frankford solution is the fact that you can use it on multiple cycles in your gun cleaning device.
This reusability factor will really appeal to gun owners who want to save as much money as possible on their cleaning fluid.
You can use this brand of cleaning solution in your Frankford Arsenal Ultrasonic Cleaner and rotary tumbler, so we would recommend that you purchase both at the same time.
It can be used to effectively strip your gunmetal of oxidation and carbon residue.
- Works brilliantly with brass casings - you can clean your brass casings efficiently and simply from the comfort of your own home.
- Time-saving - all you need is one parts solution to 40 parts water, which will save you a lot of time and extra money in the long term. This will especially appeal to hunters who frequently experience gun gunk.
- The reusability - if you are keen to save on materials, then we certainly recommend that you use this solution.
- This can be used with any number of gun cleaners, although we recommend that you pair this up with a Frankford Arsenal Ultrasonic gun cleaner and rotary tumbler.
- This can tackle oxidation and carbon residue with ease.
- The price - this is slightly more expensive than some of the other cleaners on this list, which might deter gun owners who want to stick to a smaller budget.
Our next gun cleaning solution is a great one for gun owners who want to get that thorough clean in the comfort of their own home.
It is scientifically formulated to completely remove dirt and excess carbon from your barrels, cylinders, bolts, slides and other solid steel components of your gun, elements that will be hard to clean with simple soap and hot water - introducing Simple Green Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner.
All you need to do to get your gun looking squeaky clean is dismantle it and pop it in your gun cleaning tumbler with a cap full of this solution.
It is very powerful and can easily eradicate stubborn grime and oil stains, as well as more pernicious substances such as carbon buildup.
If you are a hunter that expects to experience lots of dirt and mud in your weapon regularly, you’ll want a cleaning solution that gives it that fresh-out-of-the-store newness quickly and thoroughly.
This solution comes highly rated on Amazon, which is a testament to how good it is.
- This solution is very effective for eradicating residue from steel components, especially stubborn substances like carbon.
- The price - this gun cleaner is a lot more affordable than some of the other solutions on this list. If you’ve just purchased your gun, you might not want to spend too much money on all the cleaning accessories that come with it.
- Perfect for domestic use - this cleaner will not stain your worktops or furniture, which is ideal if you have pets or children and are conscious about spillages.
- You only have to use a small amount of cleaning fluid with this solution, so be sure to measure it carefully in correlation to how much grime you want to remove.
- This will clean all the individual components of your weapon quickly and completely.
- Some users have complained that this solution is not strong enough to eradicate tougher stains.
Our next gun cleaning solution is one that is very affordable yet nonetheless effective in getting rid of carbon residue and oxidation on your brass casings and steel gun components.
Oftentimes gun owners will have guns with personalized engravings that they will worry about damaging with an overly corrosive gun cleaning fluid.
However, that will not be the case with this product - introducing iSonic Ultrasonic Brass Cleaning Solution.
All you need to do to get your gun looking brand new after a long day’s hunting in the dirt and dust is to place the parts of it in a cleaning tumbler, measuring out 1:40 cleaning fluid with your water.
This solution is very ecologically friendly and it can be used multiple times.
You can also use this cleaning fluid to remove carbon and oil from your brass casings.
If you have personalized engravings and want to protect the outer shell of your gun, then this is the perfect solution for you to use.
- Designed for brass cleaning purposes, you can just as easily clean the other metal elements of your weapon. Whether it’s steel or aluminum, this cleaner will remove grime and oil thoroughly.
- The iSonic will remove carbon residue without issue, which is perfect if you’re experiencing functionality issues with your handgun after repeated use in wet weather.
- Economical and ecological - you won’t have to use very much of this fluid at all, just one capful is all you need to purge the stubborn stains from your favorite projectile.
- The price - you can pick up one bottle of this for just a few dollars. The fact that you only have to use so little of it in your solution will also make it last a lot longer.
- Some users have complained that other cleaners give a more thorough clean.
Our final product is ideal for those who want a cleaning unit as well as a solution, it’s an amazing device that, once you have it, will last you for years, giving your smaller firearms that depth of cleaning that you simply won’t be able to achieve by hand.
This solution that you will be using in this machine is non-combustible and non-corrosive - introducing the RCBS Ultrasonic Case Cleaner.
This machine is specifically designed to remove very tough stains from gunmetal, and it can also be used as early prevention from rust, which gun owners can experience from prolonged storage in basements and garages.
The RCBS is very easy to use, with a simple-to-navigate user interface. It is very compact and can be stored almost anywhere in your home, making it our number one unit for domestic use.
The solution will not catch fire or damage your furniture and it is very safe to use around young children.
- Great for an in-depth clean - if you want both a solution and a gun cleaning tumbler in one, then you won’t find a better unit for this price.
- It is very easy to use - you can clean hundreds of brass casings in just under 30 minutes. This is perfect if you are pushed for time but will want that premium level of cleanliness.
- The solution will not pose any threat to you, your family members or your furnishings, you can simply mix it with water and pop your gun components in for a deep clean.
- The interior is very spacious and can accommodate most small hand weapons. The unit itself is designed with very durable materials, can be easily stored and will last you a few years if maintained properly.
- The price - as this is a gun cleaning unit and solution, you can be expected to pay a lot more than you would for the solution alone. This won’t appeal to anyone who already has a gun cleaning unit.
Best Ultrasonic Gun Cleaning Solution Buying Guide
When it comes to buying gun cleaning solutions for an ultrasonic cleaner, there will be certain brands that are manufactured to be used with specific devices. As you have seen on our list, most of these brands keep their solutions and gun cleaners very much ‘in-house’.
However, there are numerous types of gun cleaning solution, and you should know which one to buy before applying it to your ultrasonic device to avoid further damaging the functionality of your weapon.
Ultrasonic gun cleaners are categorized into three main types. Finding out which one will be the most suitable for you will help you narrow down which one you’ll need.
Acidic Cleaning Solutions
These types of cleaning solutions have a pH level of less than 7 and are traditionally used for more heavy-duty cleaning jobs, such as removing carbon residue from your steel components.
Alkaline Cleaning Solutions
Alkaline cleaning solutions, also known as basic cleaning solutions, have a pH value of more than 7 and are also used for more stubborn stain removal.
These are commonly used more for cleaning the brass components of firearms.
Neutral Cleaning Solutions
These cleaning solutions have an exact pH level of 7 and should be used only on lighter cleaning jobs, such as removing a thin layer of grime from the surface of your weapon.
These should also be used if you want to preserve the delicate engravings on your weapon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does An Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner Work?
The ultrasonic gun cleaner uses sound vibrations to dislodge the grime and carbon residue from the metal components of your weapon. This is a much more thorough way of cleaning than using tools, which might cause superficial damage such as scratches and scrapes to your gun casing.
Gun cleaning solution is designed in such a way as it works in tandem with these sonic vibrations. They are often biodegradable and can be flushed down the toilet without any harmful effects.
What Should You Look For In An Ultrasonic Cleaning Unit?
There are several basic features that all ultrasonic cleaning devices should possess.
Here is a brief rundown of what you should be looking for to get your gun nice and squeaky clean:
The parts of your gun are going to be much cleaner if the solution that you are using is warm.
Warm or hot water helps to remove the strains and soften up dirt that has dried and hardened in the barrel or grooves of your gun.
The higher the level of the frequency at which your gun cleaner vibrates, then the more bubbles that it will produce.
More bubbles mean less space in between the cavitation points. This will be much more effective in cleaning the intricate parts of your gun that simply can’t be reached by the human hand or tool.
The size of the tank will all depend on what it is you’ll be wanting to clean.
If you want to clean brass casings, receivers, frames and other components, then you’ll want a more accommodating basket in your cleaning unit.
An important feature of your ultrasonic cleaner will be the timer.
Ultrasonic cleaning will often be a very quick process, and one that we do not recommend that you leave overnight, as it will certainly affect the outer casing.
Ideally, you’ll want a machine that can adapt to removing different gradations of filth on your weapon.